Hunting down restless prey like turkey comes with a lot of challenges. It gets beyond your mastery of shotgun-shooting when you lack proper visibility in the bushiest of woods. If you fail to have a clean and quick look at the prey, it’s not going to be a tasty dinner tonight, is it?
To work it out well, you need the best shotgun scope for turkey hunting. Multiple zoom capacity, fog and sunlight protection, and perfectly visible reticle – these are the preconditions of such a scope. Keeping these vital points in mind, we have picked up 8 such promising scopes for you! If you’re looking for one, prepare for a ride!
What Magnification Suits You?
Even though many hunters believe that the more magnification, the better it is, it’s not entirely true. If you magnify up to 24X, you can hardly hold on to the target constantly. With every breath you leave, you can see the reticle move away from the target.
For most users, a magnification from 3X to 4X should be ideal. Although you can have great visibility with 2X magnification, it’s not always going to work, especially if you’re hunting from yards away.
But then again, it all depends on your own convenience. If you think you can control your own physical movement to a greater level, magnification of 8X and more shouldn’t be an issue for you.
What Makes a Shotgun Scope for Turkey Hunting a Great One?
There are quite a lot of things that make a turkey hunting shotgun scope a great one. Here are some features that you need in such a scope.
- A fast-target option that makes it extremely easy to instantly target your prey
- A fog-proof glass that leaves no mark of fog when you are focusing on a turkey from yards away
- A good brightness-control option that can help in see in low light condition
- A clearly visible reticle that is easy to trace even if you’re not hunting in the brightest of the days.
Table of Content:
Running out of time? You don’t have to go through all the details in this article. Here’s a navigation table for you to easily browse through. Click on the topic you want to get to.
- What Magnification Suits You?
- What Makes a Shotgun Scope for Turkey Hunting a Great One?
- 8 Best Shotgun Scope for Turkey Hunting Reviews In 2021
- 1. TRUGLO 4x32mm Compact Shotgun Scope
- 2. TRUGLO Traditional 30mm Red-Dot Sight
- 3. Vortex Optics Viper Red Dot Sight
- 4. Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight Riflescope
- 5. Vortex Optics Crossfire Red Dot Sight Gen II
- 6. TRUGLO GOBBLE-STOPPER 30mm
- 7. Vortex Optics Diamondback
- 8. Tacticon Armament Predator V1
- Things to Consider when Buying a Shotgun Scope for Turkey Hunting
- Types of Red Dot Sights
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Do you use a scope for turkey hunting?
- Can you turkey hunt with a black shotgun?
- Is there a difference between a rifle scope and a shotgun scope?
- Would Vortex Optics Viper Red Dot Sight Work On An AR15?
- What Is The Eye Relief?
- Does Vortex Optic Diamondback Have A Riser, Or Is It Just The Scope?
- Is Vortex Optic Diamondback Sight Weather/Fog Proof?
- Does Vortex Optic Diamondback Come With A Mount Riser?
- Can You Still See The Red Dot With Polarized Sunglasses?
- Final Words
Before we go into the detailed reviews, here’s a list comparing the key features of the 8 best shotgun scopes for turkey hunting.
|TRUGLO 4x32mm Compact Shotgun Scope||Check Price|
|TRUGLO Traditional 30mm Red-Dot Sight||Check Price|
|Vortex Optics Viper Red Dot Sight||Check Price|
|Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight Riflescope||Check Price|
|Vortex Optics Crossfire Red Dot Sight Gen II||Check Price|
|TRUGLO GOBBLE-STOPPER 30mm||Check Price|
|Vortex Optics Diamondback||Check Price|
|Tacticon Armament Predator V1||Check Price|
8 Best Shotgun Scope for Turkey Hunting Reviews In 2021
To hunt down a restless and sprinting prey like a turkey, you need a super-efficient scope. We dug deep to find out the best shotgun scope for turkey hunting in the market and came with the following 8 scopes.
1. TRUGLO 4x32mm Compact Shotgun Scope
From the shotgun compact scope series comes the 4X32mm variant of Truglo. This one-pound lightweight scope makes it a proper choice for any shotgun. Especially when it was built for such arms.
This matt black scope is entirely coated in this piece. This is to make sure that the sunlight doesn’t block your view. That means you’re not going to miss another target.
The best part is, this scope comes with a diamond-reticle. You can conveniently trap a turkey in this diamond shape to hunt down in seconds. This is something quite unique!
TRUGLO 4x32mm Features:
- The scope comes fully coated so that it can reflect sunlight and provide a clear, bright, and contrast visibility.
- It features a rubber eye guard that makes it comfortable for you to put your eyes on.
- Weaver-style mounting rings are attached so that it gets quite easy to mount the scope on the gun
- The diamond-reticle is carefully designed for a shotgun. This helps track down turkeys in an easier way than their counterparts
- It has an anodized matt black finish that makes it pretty much resistant to scratch and dirt.
We like the diamond-reticle and the mate-coated construction, as these make this scope a suitable one for hunting turkeys.
2. TRUGLO Traditional 30mm Red-Dot Sight
Weighing less than half a pound, the Truglo traditional red dot scope is one of our favorites. It comes with an unlimited eye-relief option to set free your vision. Simple look through the scope and bang!
You can simply look at it through the lens without touching it to your eyes. At the same time, you can form a distance in between. Its 5-MOA red-dot reticle makes it quite easy to look through it.
Trace your target by magnifying your views up to 2 times their original. That, too, with an open-ended wide view of the entire area your prey is moving in. Hunt down target like a pro!
TRUGLO Traditional Features:
- It comes with a weaving-style mounting system that fixes the scope tightly to the gun.
- The 5-MOA red-dot circle makes it quite convenient to determine the target range and area.
- It comes with a 3V-CR2032 battery. It can be recharged, as well.
- Features a 2X magnification option to double the area of your view
With 2X magnification and wide-field view, the Truglo Gobble-stopper 30mm turkey hunting dual-color dot sight feels very soft on your eyes.
3. Vortex Optics Viper Red Dot Sight
For handguns and shotguns, the Viper Red Dot from Vortex Optics is a perfect match. It comes with a compact design. So it can be easily mount on any handheld gun.
It comes with a 6-MOA red dot that is easily visible in the daylight. If all the settings are set at the highest level, the dot will be live for over 150 hours. So you can hunt at any moment.
Take the scope with you wherever you go for hunting. That’s because it comes fully multi-coated. The hard-anodized finish makes it extremely durable and shockproof to be used outside.
Vortex Optics Features:
- It comes with a super low-profile that makes it quite suitable to be used with most handguns.
- The low height of the device makes it convenient for it to co-witness the handgun’s iron sight.
- Waterproof and shockproof build-up makes it quite resistant to adverse weather out there.
- It features an O-ring seal that keeps it away from any moisture and dust so that nothing of these enters inside to affect performance.
If you are looking for a really compact scope that delivers maximum support, there’s no way you should ignore this one.
4. Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight Riflescope
Measuring only above 5 inches in length, the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 is one of the most compact scopes we have reviewed. Its 0.23-pound weight makes it even more compact. Its lightweight design brings in a lot of perks.
However, it comes with a durable metal housing that makes it a tough device. It comes with waterproof and shockproof features to withstand adverse situations. So, you can use it on any occasion.
Apart from durability, the device is also a heavy-performer. Its 3-MOA dot reticle is highly visible at any point of the day. It just needs a little help from the 11 brightness control settings.
Bushnell Trophy TRS Features:
- It comes with a matte black finish that makes it quite smooth and sturdy, as well.
- O-ring sealing allows it to prevent water from entering the device.
- Being nitrogen purged from the inner side of the scope, the lens doesn’t experience any fog.
- Having a rubber scope cover protects the lens from any outside bang that may harm its outer construction.
Compact, lightweight, shock-fog-waterproof, and amazing brightness adjustment – these are enough of some reasons to make it your next purchase!
5. Vortex Optics Crossfire Red Dot Sight Gen II
This one is a true versatile scope that fits almost any gun you use. Count from a rifle to a shotgun. Its 4.7 x 5.65 x 2.7 inches size makes it quite easy to set up.
Its 2-MOA dot is absolutely accurate when it comes to targeting your prey. It also comes with an unlimited eye relief. It makes it easy for you can set a target in seconds.
The best part is, the device is night-vision compatible. That means even if it is lowlight around you, you can still see your prey in clear visibility. It doesn’t matter how dark it is.
Vortex Optics Crossfire Features:
- It comes with 11 illumination settings to adapt to the light around.
- Extended battery life up to 50000 hours at a stretch allows it a long life while in the hunt
- 2-MOA dot allows you to quickly set your target and take action
- Constructed from durable hard-coat anodization for superior build-up that survives adverse weather
- O-ring seals make sure that the device is waterproof and no moisture is formed inside.
If you don’t want to miss your target due to lowlight conditions, a scope like this one should be your prime choice.
6. TRUGLO GOBBLE-STOPPER 30mm
Made from super durable aircraft-grade materials, the Truglo Gobble-Stopper is one of the strongest scopes we have seen. It comes with two different looks. Depending on your choice, you can choose any.
Plus, the reticle of the device comes in two colors, as well. You can switch while the light is not appropriate. The switching is simply a matter of a click.
The surprising part is the weight of this scope. Weighing just above 0.40 pounds, the device is pretty light to use and carry. Simply take it, install it, and start shooting!
TRUGLO GOBBLE Features:
- The reticle comes with two different choices – red or green.
- The sunshade is there to prevent any glare, but if it is not needed, you can easily detach it from the scope.
- It comes with a 3V-CR2032 battery. Plus, you have battery storage that can keep spare batteries, as well.
- Made from CNC-Machined aircraft-grade aluminum to ensure maximum durability and strength
- Flip-up lens cover to cover up the lens when not in use. It protects the lens from scratch and other harmful blow
This one is pretty useful for instant targeting and for long-term use in hostile conditions.
7. Vortex Optics Diamondback
Be you are a novice or an expert, there’s always room for you to use the Vortex Optic Diamondback. Whether it is for a big game or for a small task like turkey hunting, the device is ideal for every situation. Taste the true versatility with it.
The fact that it is multi-coated should give you relief. Because you will get a crystal clear view while hunting down a turkey. It also comes with a fast-focus option for better visibility.
One of the most exciting features of this device is the metal precision turrets. You get to set it to zero resets when you have got the sight-in right. That’s a comfortable option for adjustment.
Vortex Optics Features:
- The dead-hold BDC reticle of this scope allows it to be a versatile scope to hunt any animal
- Multi-coated lens allows clear visibility to hunt down prey even at low light
- Hard anodized finish makes its construction a pretty durable and shockproof one
- O-ring sealing on this scope makes it resistant to water and moisture
- The lens is also fog-proof and prevents any type of fog formation in and out
Although the eye-relief may come as a ‘not so comfortable’ one, the overall features of this device make it a worthwhile choice.
8. Tacticon Armament Predator V1
With the fast-target acquisition and parallax-free design, the Tacticon Armament Predator V1 is here to rule the market. It’s robustly designed to withstand time with its timeless performance. So rest assured that it is going to support you for a long time.
Even if you make a thousand shots with this one, you can return it to zero. The precision gets doubled when you can co-witness the iron sights with the dot scope. True performance guaranteed.
The red and green dot is interchangeable to help you with clear visibility. To add to that, the scope comes with 5 different brightness settings, as well. This makes the view even clearer.
Tacticon Armament Features:
- It comes with a rail mount so that you can tighten the scope with your hands
- Features a fast-target option to instantly set your target on your prey
- Choose from 5 different levels of brightness depending on the light condition of the environment
- Intelligent design allows the reticle dot to precisely co-witnessed with the iron sights.
- The O-ring seal and its nitrogen-purged construction give it water and fog-proof build up.
While you have 5-brightness options with fog and waterproof build-up, there’s no reason not to go for such a device with a competitive price tag.
Things to Consider when Buying a Shotgun Scope for Turkey Hunting
Now that we have made a list of the most powerful shotgun scopes for hunting turkey, you can easily pick one from the list. But if you’re planning on exploring more, here’re some pro tips from our experts.
Plan On the Budget
There’s always a constraint of the budget in every purchase. But when it comes to things that are technical and a lot of crucial issues depend on it, there’s very little room to hold on to your pre-planned spending.
If you’re settling down for a low-budget scope, you may suffer in the long run, as it won’t be of much use after a while. Although expensive items don’t always mean the better ones, it still gives a promise of better performance, in all cases. For detailed information, you can check out our article on why do rifle scopes cost so much?
As you are planning to go after turkey, it’s not going to be an easy ride, we assure you. You need to spend much time in woods and bushes to get the perfect turkey ever. That means you may need to go through a lot of adverse situations.
If your scope is not made from heavy-duty materials like aircraft-grade aluminum or anodized metal, it’s not going to survive much. It will be subject to a lot of scratches and can even break down due to some of the heavy blows it faces.
One of the most vital parts of a scope is the reticle. There are different types of reticles you may find in the scopes, but the most common one would be the duplex one. It’s not something extraordinary compared to a crosshair.
Duplex reticles come in two different variants – the BDC and MOA. The BDC comes with 3 to 5 horizontal hash marks that are placed right below the key crosshair. These hash marks correspond with a drop of elevation. This also depends on the ballistics of the bullet.
The MOA, on the other hand, comes with hash marks that correspond to elevation drop in minutes of angle. That means 1 MOA will be equal to 1 inch to 100 yards.
Water and Fog-proof
Keeping the glass clean from water and fog is the most crucial thing while you go hunting. Water will ruin the device in many ways, and fog will block the clear visibility of your scope. So make sure that the scope you select comes as nitrogen-purged and features an O-ring for fog and water resistance. Refer to our Bushnell trophy TRS-25 red dot sight review for more on this issue.
No one promised you bright and clear daylight when you go hunting. So a brightness adjustment option is absolutely necessary for the device. A number of scopes in the market come with brightness adjustment options denoted by a number of levels.
You can select the level number and adjust the brightness of the scope accordingly. It will make sure you’re getting proper visibility even though the daylight is quite low. If possible, make sure that the device has night vision capacity. You can check out our Tactical Armament Predator review for more on brightness adjustment.
Types of Red Dot Sights
There are generally three types of Red Dot Sights. Large Tube, Small Tube, and Reflex sights.
- Large Tube: Large tube red dot sights are practically the best one you can get. If you need the best optical visibility, we would recommend that you go for a large tube.
- Small Tube: On the other hand, a small tube red dot sight is a bit smaller than the large tube. But the visibility is quite similar to the large tube one. Although both of these tubes are of identical large size, they are actually two different types.
- Reflex: This type of sight is pretty smaller compared to both the large and small tube sight. But then again, if there’s a bad weather condition, this one is the worst type of sight you can have.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you use a scope for turkey hunting?
Of course, you do. If you don’t use a scope, your chances are quite low to get a good turkey for dinner.
Can you turkey hunt with a black shotgun?
Ans. Yes, you can. Given that you attach a well-performing scope to it, it’s not a big deal to hunt turkey with a shotgun.
Is there a difference between a rifle scope and a shotgun scope?
Riflescopes are generally a bit bigger and larger than shotgun scopes. As for the function, there is not that much difference.
Would Vortex Optics Viper Red Dot Sight Work On An AR15?
Ans. Yes, as it comes with a great mounting option, it will easily mount on an AR15 in no time. You can check out our Vortex Optics viper red dot review for details.
What Is The Eye Relief?
The eye relief is the distance between your eye tip and the end of the scope from where you see the prey.
Does Vortex Optic Diamondback Have A Riser, Or Is It Just The Scope?
No, the Vortex Optic Diamondback doesn’t come with a riser.
Is Vortex Optic Diamondback Sight Weather/Fog Proof?
Yes, just like the Vortex Optics crossfire red dot, the Vortex Optic Diamondback is both water and fog proof because it comes O-ring sealed and nitrogen-purged.
Does Vortex Optic Diamondback Come With A Mount Riser?
No. You need to buy the mount riser separately to use with the Vortex Optic Diamondback.
Can You Still See The Red Dot With Polarized Sunglasses?
No. There are no issues if you see a red dot through a polarized sunglass. Most people wear sunglasses while hunting, and they reported no issues.
A shotgun is actually of no use in hunting a turkey if you don’t attach the best shotgun scope for turkey hunting. To save you from guess-works, we have made a list to make things easier for you. To save your time, we highly recommend you to choose the TRUGLO 4x32mm Compact Shotgun Scope for its versatility.
If you’re up to digging more, keep our buying guide handy! It will surely land you on the right page!