A gun safe doesn’t only keep your gun out of unauthorized access but also helps you with the law. If you’re planning on getting a gun safe, you might already have got confused among multiple brands and models. Besides, the budget plays a big role when it comes to selecting a gun safe that does its job well.
Getting the best gun safe under 400 can be a decent option to go with. While this range brings a ton of choices, an expert suggestion can be your way out. Stick to the article, our team has researched the best gun safes for you and we reviewed them here.
7501 Paragon Lock & Safe Electronic 5 Gun Rifle Safe
The Paragon 5 gun rifle scope is indeed the best gun safe for the money with a handful of smart features. It has a heavy-duty 18-ga steel construction, multiple locks with a sturdy anchor. You can store 5 rifles, 3-4 handguns, ammo, equipment, and other valuables in it.
Key Highlights Of The Paragon Rifle Safe:
- Stores 5 guns, 3-4 pistols.
- Digital keypad and manual lock.
- Slots for gun accessories.
- 18-gauge steel construction.
- Personalized safety bunker.
Table of Content:
Want to perceive the entire content quickly? Have a look at this table of content to navigate through the article and jump directly to the desired section:
- 7 Best Gun Safe Under 400 Reviews in 2021
- 1. Vaultek Slider Series Rugged Smart Handgun Safe
- 2. Vaultek Vt20i Biometric Handgun Bluetooth Smart Safe Pistol Safe
- 3. 7501 Paragon Lock & Safe Electronic 5 Gun Rifle Safe
- 4. Snapsafe Under Bed Safe, Gun Storage and Security
- 5. V-Line 31242-Sa Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe
- 6. Hornady Rapid Safe Ar Gun Locker With Rfid Touch Free Entry
- 7. Verifi Smart safe. Biometric Gun Safe With Fbi Certified Fingerprint Sensor
- Do You Need A Gun Safe – And Why?
- Different Types of Gun Safes in 2021
- How to Choose the Best Gun Safe Under $400
- Final Verdict
If you’d love to have a comparison between the gun safes we selected, here is a quick comparison list for you:
|Vaultek Slider Series Rugged Smart Handgun Safe||
||Check Price On Amazon|
|Vaultek Vt20i Biometric Handgun Bluetooth Smart Safe Pistol Safe||
||Check Price On Amazon|
|7501 Paragon Lock & Safe Electronic 5 Gun Rifle Safe||
||Check Price On Amazon|
|Snapsafe Under Bed Safe, Gun Storage and Security||
||Check Price On Amazon|
|V-Line 31242-Sa Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe||
||Check Price On Amazon|
|Hornady Rapid Safe Ar Gun Locker With Rfid Touch Free Entry||
||Check Price On Amazon|
|Verifi Smart safe. Biometric Gun Safe With Fbi Certified Fingerprint Sensor||
||Check Price On Amazon|
7 Best Gun Safe Under 400 Reviews in 2021
Getting the best gun safe under 400 can be a daunting job as there are so many boxes to check. Here are the 7 best gun safes that’ll deliver the best performance with the highest security for your weapon:
1. Vaultek Slider Series Rugged Smart Handgun Safe
If you have only a pistol and need a powerful yet lightweight gun safe for it, get the Vaultek Slider. Accessing the gun is blazing fast and accurate With its ultra-fast fingerprint scanner alongside a 5-digit backlit keypad and proximity sensor. The scanner can store 20 unique fingerprints with its built-in smart key nano.
Its construction with 16-gauge carbon steel will surely get you the security you want. Besides, you can store, hang, or place it anywhere using its multifunctional mounting plate. Storing the gun becomes even simpler with its smooth guides and precision rail design. Further, you’ll get a spare magazine chamber with the main chamber that takes up to 8.875” of a gun.
Technologies in this gun safe go even further with its Bluetooth app access for convenient operation. It works with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that takes 2.5 hours to charge for up to 6 months of backup. Worried about going off charge? No worries, it includes 2 manual keys with a hidden compartment for manual access.
Vaultek Slider Series Feature:
- Vaultek Slider accommodates a gun sized up to 8.875” with a chamber for an extra magazine.
- It has both a fast fingerprint scanner and a 5-digit keypad that illuminates with a proximity sensor.
- You’ll also get two manual keys with a hidden compartment for them to keep them.
- It has a long-lasting powerful battery that takes 2.5 hours of charge for 4-6 months of backup.
- This gun safe has carbon steel, anti-pry bar construction that’s highly durable.
If you want your handgun to be passively deployed with maximum security and fast access, the Vaultek Slider is a perfect choice.
2. Vaultek Vt20i Biometric Handgun Bluetooth Smart Safe Pistol Safe
This smart safe from Vaultek is truly a smart gun safe that comes with a biometric unlock mechanism. You can save over 20 different fingerprints on its smart chip and unlock the safe in a split of a second. It also comes with an integrated 5-button keypad for access when biometric isn’t an option. Furthermore, its smart features go beyond its phone app access.
You can connect your smartphone over Bluetooth using a dedicated app that allows you to open or manage it. The safe runs on a li-poly battery that runs up to 6 months before you recharge it which takes 2.5 hours. If you’re worried about running out of battery, it also includes 2 manual keys that allow you to access it manually.
As far as storing goes, you can store a full-sized handgun in it along with spare magazines, passports, cash. You can easily mount it to a nightstand, vehicle, or desk for a convenient reach. When it comes to safety, it has a heavy-duty anti-pry, 16-gauge carbon steel construction for maximum anti-theft protection. Its inside has a built-in LED for an effortless operation.
Vaultek Vt20i Biometric Feature:
- Vaultek Vt20i has a 16-gauge carbon steel rigid construction with an 11” x 5.75” interior capacity.
- It works wirelessly using Bluetooth that connects it to a dedicated Vaultek smartphone app.
- You can open it with a biometric lock using 20 fingerprints, a 5-button keypad alongside 2 manual keys.
- It comes with a built-in LED illumination when you open the anti-pry lid and access the gun safe.
- The safe works with a lithium-ion battery that runs for 4-6 months with a single charge of 5 hours.
The Vt20i is for you if you’re looking for a compact yet all-in-one gun safe. It doesn’t allocate much space in your house, neither it takes more than a fraction of a second to open up.
3. 7501 Paragon Lock & Safe Electronic 5 Gun Rifle Safe
This electric 5 Gun rifle safe from Paragon is a next level gun cabinet that has a huge space inside. You can easily stock up to 5 full sized AR-15 type guns simultaneously along with 3-4 pistols and accessories. It’s by far the best gun safe under 400 with dedicated compartments and cut-outs for the rifles. Besides, there are cabinets inside to help you store munitions and vests as well.
The top compartment is another safe inside it with a dedicated personalized lock mechanism. Furthermore, it comes with a high-quality keypad lock mechanism along with a volt-dial as the ones seen in the banks. Besides, the keypad uses a 3-8 digit lock code to open the safe and the dedicated locker inside gives you 2 extra keys.
For anti-theft protection, it has an 18-gauge solid steel construction along with concealed hinges for superior rigidity. It can easily resist pry tools, drop, or other force entries for better security of the valuables inside. On top of that, it weighs 110 pounds and has a treated powder-coating finish to protect it from outside weather.
7501 Paragon Lock Feature:
- The Paragon gun safe can hold up to 5 guns, 3-4 pistols along with the gun accessories with dedicated cut-outs.
- You’ll get a digital keypad lock that runs on 2 AA batteries and an analog volt-like dial lock as well.
- It has heavy-duty 18-gauge solid steel construction and extra treated hinges alongside a powder coated exterior.
- The safe has a dedicated extra storage volt inside it which has dedicated keys to it for personalized safety and security.
- There are dedicated slots for gun ammo, magazines, and other accessories inside the safe for easy and convenient access.
If you want the ultimate gun safe for almost any valuables from multiple guns to cash, this safe is your go-to option. It comes with enough space to accommodate 5 AR guns, multiple handguns, ammo with an 18-ga steel outer body.
4. Snapsafe Under Bed Safe, Gun Storage and Security
Unlike the Hornady, the SnapSafe has an open interior that makes it clutter-free and gives you larger space. As far construction goes, this gun safe has a 14-gauge steel construction which is pry, pick, and drop resistant. Besides, it has a digital electronic keypad with which you can set up to 8-digit security code for access.
The interior is large enough to store two full-sized AR guns leaving plenty of space to store handguns and other valuables. Its slide-out drawer design for the foamed gun base is 100-LB rated robust steel that does more than storing guns. There are 4 pre-drilled holes in the guns safe to help you avoid any custom drill while anchoring it.
You can store precious items inside and secure it more by anchoring it with the 5-feet robust heavy-duty safety cable. Further, it fits under a bed, gets it tucked inside a car, or makes a cabinet using the drawer design. If you don’t love digital keypads, you also get a manual key to access the lock and avoid the keypad.
Snapsafe Under Bed Safe Feature:
- This gun safe has a heavy-duty pry, saw, and impact-resistant 14-gauge steel construction.
- You’ll get a 40”x6”x22” large interior to store two full-size guns along with handguns and other valuable items.
- It comes with a digital keypad to help you use key locks to unlock the safe using 3-8 digit codes.
- The safe has a robust slider drawer design with 100-lb stainless steel for extra rigid storage.
- SnapSafe gun safe also comes with a 5-feet sturdy anchoring cable along with 4 pre-drilled holes for it.
If you need bigger space but don’t want compartments like the Hornady Rapid, you need the SnapSafe gun safe. It has no compartments, has a drawer design, and perfect for fitting under a bed or a car bed.
5. V-Line 31242-Sa Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe
Are you after a gun safe for your heavy AR with quick accessibility? Then I have a great suggestion for you; get the V-Line Keyless long gun safe. Its mechanical lock mechanism is all USA-made and has solid security without using any batteries. You’ll surely be surprised by its heavy duty lock combining both a keypad and a combination dial.
The lock is a Genuine KABA Simplex Mechanical one which ensures heavy security. On top of that, you’ll get two manual keys to access it without using the keypad as well. Its rugged 16-gauge steel-made outer shell will keep it safe and secure under pressure. Talking about securing, it comes with a hangable design with which you can hang it behind a door or elsewhere.
You can also mount it upright other than hanging using the pre-punched holes dedicated for mounting. Its interior is large enough to store a full-sized AR-15 type gun along with handguns and other valuables. There is an integrated velcro strap inside the safe to keep your gun in its place while moving around. Besides, the foam bed will keep the guns and other items safe and secure.
V-Line 31242-Sa Feature:
- The V-Line gun safe comes with a 16-gauge steel construction which is highly durable and long lasting.
- It comes with a keypad and a KABA Simplex high-end mechanical lock that makes it highly secure.
- For storage, you can keep a full sized AR-15 or similar along with accessories, a handgun, and other valuables.
- You’ll also get 2 extra physical keys to access the safe manually if you don’t want to use the mechanical lock.
- The safe has a versatile design, you can either hang it or mount with pre-punched holes.
If you want a manual lock and don’t love too much tech inside a safe, The V-Line will be perfect for you. It doesn’t use a battery and doesn’t have any wireless or touchless connectivity and has both a keypad and combination lock.
6. Hornady Rapid Safe Ar Gun Locker With Rfid Touch Free Entry
If you need a bigger gun safe, give the Hornady Rapid gun locker a chance with its incredible features. You can store full-sized AR guns like AK-47 or handguns along with spare magazines, valuables, and cash in it. The interior space is large enough to accommodate two full-sized AR guns if you’re not putting anything but them.
Besides, the heavy-duty tamper-proof construction will keep everything safe because the structure is pry and drop resistant. Opening the gun is truly rapid because you’re getting multiple unlocking mechanisms. You’ll get a physical keypad for a 4/6 digit lock code and an RFID key fob to unlock it. All you have to do is, get the RFID wristband near the lock and it’s open which makes it the best entry level gun safe!
Its 1500-lb rated cable will strengthen the 16-gauge steel build and lock even sturdier, both vertically and horizontally. Furthermore, it comes pre-drilled for the security cable with which you can tuck it in a set location. You can now be worry-free about children’s access because it comes with an ASTM-certified child-resistant design. On top of that, it will
Hornady Rapid Safe Feature:
- The Hornady Rapid Safe can store 2 full-sized AR guns or 1 with handguns, spare magazines, and other valuables.
- It comes with a 4 or 6 digit keypad lock along with an RFID touch-free wristband to unlock it.
- You’ll get a 1500-lbs rated cable to tackle or tuck it in a set place to make it fully anti-theft and secure.
- This gun safe has a 16-gauge rigid carbon steel construction along with pry-resistant hinges for extra security.
- For most assurance, it comes with the ASTM International gun safe safety standards along with a child-resistant design.
This beast is for you if you’re after a bigger gun locker and feel insecure about biometric locks. It has an all-physical locking mechanism along with a built-in cable and accommodates multiple guns.
7. Verifi Smart safe. Biometric Gun Safe With Fbi Certified Fingerprint Sensor
Now for the bad boy! The Verifi smart safe is a heavy-duty gun locker that works unparalleled with quick access. It comes with a highly secure fingerprint scanner with an FBA certification for the maximum security. The fingerprint scanner is high resolution and stores up to 40 unique fingerprints; you’ll never miss a shot when you need it quickly.
It also has a digital screen to help you navigate the functions where most of its automation including auto lock. For instance, the safe has an automated self-diagnostics feature with which it lets you know the current situation. You’ll know the battery health and the other electronics inside the gun safe to help you keep the peak performance.
As it runs on electricity, it comes with a battery included which runs for years alongside 2 spare physical keys. You can store it like a cabinet, mount it, or place it anywhere; the 14-ga solid steel construction will stand out. For the storage space, you can easily store 3 handguns vertically with other ammo or accessories. Besides, it has an alarm feature; whenever unauthorized access attempts, it buzzes, and that makes it the best gun safe under 300.
Verifi Smart safe Feature:
- The Verifi smart safe comes with a heavy-duty 14-ga solid steel construction for rigid security.
- It comes with a smart fingerprint scanner lock with 40 unique finger entries which has FBA certification.
- You’ll also get an automated self-diagnostics feature to see the battery health and other electronics status.
- The lock has an automated system to lock when you close the door and alarm for unauthorized attempts.
- It gives you enough space for storing 3 handguns and other accessories and valuables.
If you’re looking for a heavy-duty high-end gun safe, the Verifi smart safe is for you. It comes with an FBA certified secure fingerprint scanner with 40 unique ID entries. You’ll get enough space inside and have automated diagnostics, alarm, and auto lock.
Do You Need A Gun Safe – And Why?
If you have a gun and need to keep it safe, you can just hide it in the closet. So, does investing in a gun safe worth it and does it secure you for real? Here is why you must consider getting a gun safe; not only to keep it safe but a few other reasons!
Even if you’re alone in the house and have issues regarding the firearm, some states might still require a gun safe. You cannot avail a firearm license unless you have a firearm safety locker. Thus, it’ll help you get your license easier no matter whether it’s mandatory in your state or not.
Child Access Prevention:
One of the most important reasons to get a gun safe is to keep it out of children’s access. Thus, when you have kids in the house, you never know whether the kid will find the gun or not. Therefore, it can never be easy when you’re outside leaving your gun back at your home.
Depending on how big the guns you have or how many of them, you may need separate insurance for them. Therefore, while applying for insurance, the provider may require you to have a proper gun safe. They also need you to have a smart alarm and heavy-duty lock mechanism for the insurance.
Theft and Burglary Protection:
Now for the obvious! The most common and important reason to get a gun safe is to keep it safe from thieves and burglars. You can easily protect your gun and other valuable possessions by keeping them inside a gun safe. Furthermore, if you can select the right safe, the bugler won’t be able to take it away either.
Different Types of Gun Safes in 2021
There are different types of gun safes you can choose from depending on your gun type, quantity, and size. Here are the most common types of gun safes you can go for if you’re going to shop for one:
- Biometric Gun safe: These gun safes contain a biometric lock with which you can set multiple fingerprints to open the lock. They also include other types of lock mechanisms though.
- In-wall gun safe: You can hide these gun safes if you want with a wall painting or a cabinet of so. The gun safe will be flat to the wall and will have no visible bump on the wall.
- Car gun safe: If you travel a lot, or need security on the go, consider getting a car gun safe. These gun safes come with the proper structure to anchor them into the car bed. Are gun safes easy to break into, especially car safes? Check the article to find out!
- Under bed gun safe: These gun safes are the simplest to use as you can through them under your bed or other furniture conveniently. However, they’re also the most prone to get stolen or accessed by unwanted people.
- Heavy-duty gun safe: These are the ones for people with serious and multiple guns and ammo. The safe will have multiple hinges and 3-5 times thicker outer body and door to protect it from heavy abuse.
- Nightstand or truck gun safe: You will find these gun safes the easiest to use as you have a convenient door and a simple box design. It will fit into a nightstand or a truck dash perfectly without making it look odd.
- Stack on corner gun safe: These gun safes come with special designs to fit into a corner of your room. If you get one of these, be sure to know the Stack-On Gun Safe Combination Sequence for quick access.
How to Choose the Best Gun Safe Under $400
Choosing the best gun under $400 isn’t a piece of cake as there are a ton of considerations to make. Therefore, here are the most important things you must not overlook while buying a gun safe for the first time:
Let’s put, the construction material is the first and foremost important thing to consider while selecting a gun safe. There are a few types of gun safe construction materials you can rely on depending on your safety requirements.
If you seriously recon that the safe might encounter buglers or thieves with skills, consider a rigid one. A gun safe with the construction of at least 14-ga steel should be your minimum requirement and higher is better.
The next thing you’re going to consider is the storage space you’re getting and the space you need. No wonder you must be able to store your every weapon along with the accessories in the safe.
However, if you’re storing only a single revolver or a handgun, there is no point in getting a big one. Therefore, perceive what you’re going to store in it, then determine how much space you need.
Lock Type and Options:
Now for the real confusion and that’s the type of lock you should go with your gun safe. There are a few lock types and you can pick the one you’re confident with. The most popular options are:
- Biometric lock: These are for the tech geeks who need technology in their gun safe at its best with blazing fast access.
- Electric keypad: It’s for you if you’re okay with a few seconds of a wait but a high level of security on your gun safe.
- Combination lock: These locks are the oldest by type way before the electric locks came in and don’t require batteries.
- Manual key lock: The obvious one! Key locks are usually common and less used in gun safes as primary. You’ll get this lock with almost any digital lock as optional.
Overall, if you want maximum security without missing out on technology in your gun safe, go for a hybrid one. They come with multiple lock mechanisms like both biometric and keypads along with manual keys.
If you want maximum functionality against unauthorized access to your gun safe, look for some smart features. First, you should look for a smart alarm feature with an automated lock mechanism. Second, the self-diagnosis technology will help you avoid any unnecessary power run-out or security breaches.
The most annoying enemy of gun safes is humidity, water, and damp area. If you’re placing the gun safe in a damp area like a basement, be sure to have proper protection. See if the gun safe comes with an extended or raised base to avoid humidity under the bed. Plus, be sure the safe has all the humidity controlling features like a place for a dehumidifier. To know more about water, rust, and humidity protection, know about which guns are gun safes waterproof.
Floor anchoring is crucial if you’re using a big gun safe that you’re placing in the basement or public-accessible place. It will help you protect your gun safe and valuables in it from the burglars.
They don’t usually open safes inside the house; they take it away and do the rest outside. Don’t let them take your gun safe away from the place you’re putting it in your home.
Frequently Asked Questions
A gun safe makes new users curious and many people asked a few common questions. Follow these frequently asked ones to find the ones you might have in your mind:
Can Floors Normally Support a Gun Safe?
If you’re buying the gun safe considering the floor weight capacity, it must be able to support a gun safe.
Is it Necessary for a Gun Safe to Be Fireproof?
No, it’s not necessarily mandatory for your gun safe to be fireproof, unless you need the option. However, a fireproof gun safe can surely be a better option compared to a non-fireproof one.
How Can I Open a Lock If I Forgot the Code Combination?
If you forget the combination, you can use the manual key to open the safe as most come with one. Otherwise, you may have to contact a locksmith to do the magic.
Is it Easy to Break Into Gun Safes?
No; gun safes are highly durable and shock or wear resistance; therefore it’s not easy to break into a gun safe.
Is it Ok to Put Ammo in the Gun Safe?
Yes, you can put the gun ammo in a safe just fine with your guns. However, be sure to organize them in a proper manner and remember to point the bullets outside the living area.
Is it Bad to Keep Ar 15 Magazines Loaded?
No; if you have a constant threat and want to be ready on the go, you can keep them loaded.
Can I Put a Gun Safe in an Unheated Garage?
You can put your gun safe anywhere including an unheated garage. However, putting a gun safe in the garage is the dumbest idea because nobody will notice the high sound
Would it Be Better If I Anchor My Safe?
Yes; if you’re using a big gun safe, be sure to anchor it on the floor or a sturdy bolder in the house. It’ll give you extra security against burglars and thieves.
What Type of Lock Would Be Best for My Safe?
For a compact handgun safe, get a biometric lock mechanism and a keypad if it’s a medium for multiple guns.
Which Is the Perfect Size for a Safe?
It depends on the size of your weapons, ammunition, and other valuable possessions. If you have multiple guns to store, a medium sized gun safe that can take in 2-3 guns.
Gun safes are indeed necessary if you have guns and other valuables alongside the fear of unauthorized access to them. Getting the best gun safe under 400 is a great option to go with as you don’t have to compromise high-end features. I hope you’ve found your gun safe within your budget from the list above rather than getting cheap gun safes online.
If you want me to suggest one with an experts’ eye, I’d suggest you get the Paragon 5 Gun Rifle Safe. It has a high-end locking mechanism along with 18-ga steel construction and can hold 5 rifles simultaneously. If you’re getting it only for a single revolver, then I’d suggest you get the Vaultek Vt20i Biometric Handgun Safe. It comes with a blazing-fast fingerprint scanner along with a keypad lock mechanism, not to mention the two manual keys. Plus, it has a built-in LED with Bluetooth connectivity for wireless control over the safe.